For healthy children and mothers: establishment of two obstetric wards, 2014–2018
Subject: construction of two obstetric wards, courses for pregnant women and mothers, self-help groups, awareness-raising campaigns for young people, networking
Where: Nawalparasi in Süd-Nepal
Partner organisation: Green Tara Trust and Green Tara Nepal
Budget: € 99,410, from which € 75.000 granted by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (Bundesministerium für wirtschaftiche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung – BMZ) in November 2014; Karuna Deutschland and Green Tara Trust finance € 25,000 of the costs from donations.
Duration: October 2014 to April 2018, since then continuation from own funds
Our project partner Green Tara Nepal (GTN) was founded in 1999 to provide help for self-help in Nepal. Its special concern is mother-child health and women's empowerment in close cooperation with local organisations. This project in South Nepal supports the development of structures within local communities to improve maternal and newborn health.
- Construction of two obstetric wards
- Courses for pregnant women and mothers on health and infant care issues
- Self-help groups and establishment of a mentoring system in which the acquired knowledge is passed on by experienced mothers
- Clean delivery materials for every pregnant woman
- Postnatal check-ups within 48 hours
- Training for health workers and volunteers
Project visit to Thulokhairatava in July 2016. The entire team of the health station, which includes the birth centre, the midwives, nurses and the team of Green Tara Nepal.
Read the personal stories of Reshmi and Sunita: